Sunday, November 9, 2008

The House Last Week (Nov. 1-6)

THE BIG DIGGER
Last weekend (Nov. 1-2) Jason decided to rent a very large backhoe (or a "big digger" as I like to call it) to move dirt from the large piles created by the basement hole into the back yard to create a new grade. He also needed to dig the holes for the covered porch beams and do some backfilling. When he told me about his need to rent one these machines and do the work himself, I asked him if he could safely operate one of these machines and he reassured me that it would be no problem. (I have learned just to let him have his fun and pray for a safe outcome).




I dressed Xander in his digger shirt for the occasion.


The weekend went great and they had perfect weather. Jason and his dad accomplished all that they set out to do. Xander even got to help his dad move some dirt.

I even took that big digger for a spin and moved one bucket of dirt.:) Of course it was almost dark when they finally let me try.



THE GRAVEL
We also worked at removing gravel from the basement floor in order to prepare it for the pouring of the concrete floor. We had to remove 1-3 inches throughout. We would rake and fill 5 gallon buckets and dump them out the egress window. We moved around 250-300 bucket loads!


Here is D.W. (my brother) being helpful.


THE ROUGH PLUMBING
The plumber roughed in the sewer line, basement bathroom, and stacks for upstairs waste lines.


THE BASEMENT FLOOR
The basement was poured on Thursday. On Wednesday night (after work and before church) Jason and his dad laid the vapor barrier down over the gravel. Thursday they came and poured the concrete basement floor.





No comments: