Sunday, August 9, 2009

Things I Question

So we are heading to Florida from Atlanta today. We needed to stop for lunch because Xander was having enough of sitting in his car seat. The sign on the highway advertised an Arby's so we decided on that. When we get off the exit it turned out the Arbys was attached to a Pilot travel station (which I feel should be indicated on the sign:)). I don't know what it is, but to me it is like eating at a restaurant attached to a giant restroom. I don't care how nice the travel station is I just don't like eating at restaurants attached to them. I mentioned this to Jason as we were pulling in. He thinks I am little nutty about this type of thing because I also do not like eating at "combination" restaurants either. You know the ones: A & W Rootbeer/Lee's Chicken, Wendys/Tim Hortons, and the one that bothers me the most Taco Bell/Long John Silvers. A few years ago these restruants started popping up everywhere with no rhyme or reason to the combinations. Let's take a closer examination about the oddities of these establishments (after all I am in the car and Xander is sleeping and I have nothing better to do). First of all one could argue the virtue of these type of restaurant's which I suppose would mainly be variety. I would gladly give up variety over leaving a restaurant smelling of both taco bell and Long John Silvers. What would that smell even be? First of all upon entering the restaurant you are still plagued with question of which restaurant you will eat from. So the whole time you are in line you are riddled in your head with, "Do I feel more like tacos or fish?" Once you decide which restaurant you will order from you are overwhelmed by the menu. There is way to much going on and you have to order combo meals with a letter and number code. For instant if it is from the Taco Bell menu then you would order a T3, but if it was from the LJS menu you would order a LS5. I hate to even mention those individuals who think it is cool to order off both menus. I am sorry but a nacho grande should not be eaten with fried fish and hush puppies (People who choose to do this remind me of a third grade boy who thinks it is cool to mix every flavor pop from the fountain together.) If you can make it through to this next step then with your tray in hand you wander out to find a table to eat at. So one side looks like a Taco Bell with cushy vinyl green seats and the other half has wooden booths with a nautical theme. So if you order Taco Bell do you go sit in the Long John Silver "side" of restaurant? It seems slightly unnatural to me. So, am I saying I will never ever eat at one of these restaurants..no. I have before and I will probably again. Will I let Xander order off both menus when he gets older...I guess. I will probably have to at least give him a "come on really" look though.

2 comments:

Darin and Tracy Elgersma said...

I think this is the first time I've seen you rant about something on here. Hilarious! And.... I agree. It seems unnatural to have two different restaurants together. Even though, I don't think I have quite the same conviction about it. :)

Erin said...

Ha ha ha ha! I loved this. It reminds me of many of the conversations that we have daily...and now it's made it to the blog. Miss you!

PS- the word i have to type to post this is dizeny...isn't that funny, because that's where you are dis-e-ny! :)