Sunday, November 25, 2012

happy thanksgiving~#1

Jason used his Menards rebate bucks to buy slot car track that was on sale. He had one as a kid.  Jason and the kids spent Thanksgiving morning assembling it. Xander was really into putting the white stickers that were the dashes in the road on and was pretty disappointment when we had to leave and he had to stop. He hates to be stopped in the middle of a project. I can relate. I love watching them play, but I realized quickly that if I didn't leave the room I was going to be the one putting the cars back on the track every time they fell off. 

 Jason always claims he is getting the toys for the kids, but he loves them just as much. 
For our first Thanksgiving Day stop we headed to my mom's sister's house. Here is my mom with her sisters Judy and Angie. My Aunt Angie has breast cancer too and unlike my mom's it is an aggressive kind. Even though she caught it early and had a double masectomoy it managed to travel through her blood stream. She is undergoing a second round of chemo now. However, this chemo seems to having a positive results. I have to be honest and say I pretty much hate the words, "breast cancer" and "cancer" all together. They went from something I never really gave much thought to to something I think about often. We continue to pray for my aunt. Her son, Matson, is only eight and I know her goal is to see him get married one day. 
 Ok, all that to say we really did have a good day and it wasn't sad or somber like I had pictured it in my head. My mom brought Xander a Darth Vader action figure, which he of course loves. 
My parents also gave the kids a card with two dollars a piece. Lily carried her money around for quite awhile saying, "money, money, money". She also pointed to George Washington's face on the front and asked my dad who it was. If you show her a dollar now she is point and say, "George". 

 Here is a picture of me, my younger sister Nora, Mom, and Lily

 Lily loves her grandma
 Here is my family (minus my youngest brother). This was on the only picture where my dad wasn't making a silly face. 
I feel like I have so incredible much to me thankful for. I have to say ever since my mom was diagnosed a little over a year ago I have never been as thankful for my health as I have been this past year. I teach our kindergarten Sunday school class at church and recently there was a lesson on Naaman. They lesson started out with telling that Naaman was a very very rich man, who had a wife, and children but he was sad. He was sad because despite all his money he had a sickness that no one could cure him of. It really hit home. If we are sick it sheds a different light onto everything else in out lives. The good news is the God that healed Naaman is still healing today. 

No comments: